Thursday 11 May 2017

Rye, Indeed

In a reversion to the historical norm, the Conservatives came second here in North West Durham in 2015. But their candidate this time, one Sally-Ann Hart, is listed as having her "address in the Hastings and Rye constituency". They are always from the South. None of them has even pretended to live here since Theresa May in 1992, and she did in fact spend a lot of time here. She is well-remembered. Meanwhile, Princess Pidcock has apparently managed to acquire a residence in Lanchester at less than a month's notice. Not bad for a 29-year-old charity worker.

I want the railways and the Royal Mail back in public ownership. I want an extra six billion pounds per year for the NHS, and an extra £1.6 billion for social care. I want 100,000 new council houses each year, with the offer of homes to thousands of rough sleepers, and with a cap on private rents. I want an end to arms sales to Saudi Arabia. And I want to be sure that Britain will not intervene on the Islamist side in the Syrian Civil War.

In this country, however, we vote for individual candidates.

For whom am I going to vote? If my Campaign Patron, Councillor Alex Watson OBE, endorses anyone, and if I do not say otherwise, then I agree with him. Beyond that, know only that I will vote. To the best of my knowledge, I am the first declared candidate in the country for the 2022 General Election. Already organising, already campaigning, and already fundraising.

No comments:

Post a Comment